Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sweet tea . . . The avec du sucre (translated tea w/ sugar)

Okay so today in class my professeur asked each of us about a particular meal that is from our country. I want you to take a minute and think about the states and what meal is american. . . hot dog, hamburger . . . yeah so everyone else in the room had these wonderful sounding meals with detailed ingredients and when he got to me, I was like un hamburger. They are familiar with them. But I gave it a little more thought and came up with Bar-be-que. This took some explaining. They are a little familiar with it, but they definitely have never heard of Sonny's. So I told them that bar-be-que is big in the south and he asked what we have with it, so I went down the Sonny's menu. Then he asked what we would have to drink with it. And I responded "Du the avec du sucre" (translated tea with sugar). They have never heard of this before. One Russian proceeded to tell me that we dont' drink sweet tea with bar-be-que but that we have beer. He said he saw a celebrity in his mansion (on crib) eating bar-be-que and he had a beer. Then the teacher kindly interrupted and said "remember she has told us not to believe everything we see on t.v." They believe that everything they see on T.V. is reality. I try to convince them that it isn't. Anyway, I told them "I'm sure some people drink beer with it, but my family doesn't". They know about hot tea but I wasn't sure they knew about cold tea. And when I said that the tea is cold and we add sugar to it they freaked out and said "you will get sick if you drink that." I assured them that you wouldn't and attempted to explain the process in making sweet tea. I talked about making sun tea and reassured them that the sugar is added after the process (one Russian was worried that sugar in the sun makes alcohol). It was very humorous to see their reaction to the whole tea issue. You may rest now in knowning that my class is more educated on sweet tea!!!

No comments: